Thursday, July 7, 2011

Surprises, Pleasant and Less So

'Hounded' by Kevin Hearne is the first book in what might be a must-read Urban Fantasy series for me. It's got magic and old gods and a "talking" dog and all kinds of fun stuff. The protagonist is a 2100-year-old Druid who's in possession of a magical sword and gets caught up in godly politics and power plays. It moves quickly and is smart and sharp and funny. I went into reading it with absolutely zero expectations, and came away feeling like I had really "discovered" something. I can't wait to dig in to the next two books.

'Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right' by Kieran Kramer was pretty much the exact opposite kind of reading experience. I had loved Ms. Kramer's first novel, 'When Harry Met Molly, and so was prepared to love this one. Sadly, I only kinda liked it. It got really, really draggy in parts and lacked the warmth and humor that I liked so much in Molly. It picked up in the last quarter, but by then I was frustrated and more than a little bored. I hope Ms. Kramer's third book is more like the first than like this one. Otherwise, I think it's the end for the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment