Monday, November 12, 2018

This Is All Cynthia's Fault

I thought I was done with this thing. For four years, I let it lie fallow and thought of it rarely, if ever. And then a friend of mine wanted to know more about my 50 States/50 Romances reading challenge, but she doesn't (and won't, for very, very good reasons) use Goodreads. I've been posting about the challenge in a private Facebook group, but trying to find old posts on FB is not easy. So, here I am again, sharing my bookish (and maybe, occasionally, bake-ish) thoughts and adventures and disappointments.

Since I came back to this because of curiosity about my 50 States/50 Romances challenge, I suppose that's as good a place to start as any.

Back in March or April of this year, I created a project for myself: I was going to read one Romance novel set in each of the 50 states, and I was going to read them alphabetically by state. I finished the first book—Something to Prove by Kimberly Lang—on April 15th and have averaged about one book for the challenge per month. None of the books so far have been great. Or, at least, none of the books so far have been great for me. I am, by nature, a reader of Historical Romance and only one of the books I've read for this challenge so far has been an Historical. And it was an Old Skool Johanna Lindsey, so it was far from the best the sub-genre has to offer. But, part of the impetus behind this challenge was to get me reading books I wouldn't otherwise have chosen for myself.

Here, then, are the books I've read for the challenge thus far. I've tried to include some thoughts about the books in question, but it's been long enough since I've read most of them that I only remember broad strokes, so the details are very sparse.

Alabama Something to Prove by Kimberly Lang: I started off with a small town contemporary. I liked it okay, especially since the author didn't feel the need to create a Big Villain to provide conflict. It was just small people being small who stood in the way of Happily Ever After for the hero and heroine.

Alaska The Royal Treatment by MaryJanice Davidson: A kind of alternate universe setting where Alaska has a royal family. There were some good humorous set pieces, but some of the world building was questionable.

Arizona Fairyville by Emma Holly: When I started, I vaguely remembered reading this one when I was going through a period of reading a lot of Paranormal Romance. It's on the steamier side and is about a polyamorous relationship, but it occasionally felt like the focus on the sexy bits took away from the plot and the actual emotional development of the relationship.

Arkansas Wild Child by Molly O'Keefe: Another small town contemporary, this one about a prodigal daughter returning to her childhood home. It wants to be angsty and edgy and it is more of those things than some other novels, but the edginess felt more forced than natural or realistic.

California About That Kiss by Jill Shalvis: Shalvis is one of the few authors of contemporaries who is almost an auto-read for me, so I enjoyed this one more than a lot of the others on this list so far. That being said, though, her Heartbreaker Bay series (of which this is #7) is not my favorite of hers. It's enjoyable, but a little cookie-cutter.

Colorado This Gun for Hire by Jo Goodman: I like this one more in retrospect than I did just after I finished it. It features a female bounty hunter hired to protect a miner's daughter and the Army cavalryman who hires her for the job. The relationship between the two was great and the supporting characters were more than just props or plot devices, but the resolution to the external danger they face just didn't quite work for me.

Connecticut Gentle Rogue by Johanna Lindsey: This is a 2005 re-issue of a book originally published back in 1990 and has some issues, as a lot of Romance novels from the 80s and 90s do. When I was younger and didn't know any better, I devoured Lindsey's novels in all their Fabio-covered glory. Reading one now only made me realize how far the genre has come.

Delaware Cure for the Common Breakup by Beth Kendrick: This is as far as I've gotten in my quest. This was fine and would be a good addition to a beach bag, but the characters seemed to change their attitudes/outlooks/personalities because they needed to do so for plot reasons and not because they put the work in to grow and change. There was also some medical/healing stuff that was seriously questionable. It is, however, fairly "clean," so would be a good recommendation for readers who don't want all the swearing and explicit sex.


There you have it. The seven books I've managed to read so far for my 50 States, 50 Romances challenge. I'll add new blog posts for each new book I read for this project. I'll also occasionally post about other books I love or loathe, but not about the ones that are just okay. I also listen to a lot of audiobooks, so I may do a post or two about the ones that I think are really worth a listen. I'm baking a lot right now, so I may share some of that here, too. Of course, there's an equal chance that I'll get bored or distracted by shiny objects and let this die again.

No comments:

Post a Comment